Our Vision at Corporation Road
At Corporation Road Community Primary School, we want children to have an appreciation of different artists and for children to be able to talk about a range of artists and their work. We want children to recognise some works of art, name the artist and give some background information. Children will be able to create their own pieces of art and be confident to describe and evaluate the skills and techniques they’ve used to create their own pieces. We aim for children to have the knowledge and skills to prepare them for art and design in secondary school as well as if they want to pursue it as a career choice.
|Planning and Design||Developing Ideas and selection|
|Evaluating||Appreciating the work of others and Evaluating their own work|
|Skills and Techniques||Printmaking, Collage, Colour, Pattern and Line & Tone|
Art Progression Map
For children to understand that art and design can bring people together from their local and wider community. Understand that art and design bring together a richness of cultures, beliefs and religions from across the world. Understand similarities and differences when we compare what materials and skills we use, to communities past and present, near and far.To know that through art and design, you can contribute to your local and wider community.
Gender & Equality
For children to have an appreciation and knowledge of a wide range of artists. To understand that irrespective of gender, race, beliefs, culture or religion, you can have an appreciation of and access to art and design. For children to have the skills and knowledge to have the option of continuing art and design in higher education and/or through a career.
For children to understand that as citizens, we can use art and design to help work towards the betterment of the whole community. Children will know that through art and design, you can help to improve the mental health of yourself and others around you.
Legacy & Impact
For children to understand and learn about legacies in art and design left behind by key individuals and communities, which have had an impact on the way in which we live our lives, and influence what we learn, in society today. For children to develop art and design skills so that they can choose to have an impact on their immediate and wider environment and influence others. For children to have the knowledge and ability to make their own mark on society knowing they themselves leave behind their own legacy.
Children sing songs, make music and dance, and experiment with ways of changing them. They safely use and explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function.Children use what they have learnt about media and materials in original ways, thinking about uses and purposes. They represent their own ideas, thoughts and feelings through design and technology, art, music, dance, role play and stories.
Pupils should be taught:
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- about great artists, architects and designers in history.