On behalf of the children, staff and governors of Corporation Road Community Primary School, I would like to welcome you to our school website.
We are very proud of our school, our children and our teaching team and the quality of the education we provide. The progress that our children and the school has made over the past two years since I have been Headteacher has been outstanding. This includes:
- Validated national assessment information confirming that pupils who left Year 6 in 2017 made well above average progress in reading, writing and mathematics
- We are in the top one per cent of schools nationally for progress between KS1 and KS2 for writing and maths, and in the top six per cent for reading
- Pupil premium children made better progress in all three subjects than ‘other’ pupils nationally. The ‘low prior attainment’ pupil group also made particularly impressive gains
- The outstanding progress Year 6 pupils made during their time at the school has led to 66 per cent meeting the required standards in reading, writing and maths combined, compared to the 61 per cent seen nationally and across Darlington. Average scores in reading were 103 compared to 104 nationally and across the Local Authority, while average scores in maths at 107 surpassed the 104 seen nationally and in the Local Authority.
Our ethos is to ensure teaching and learning is centred on ‘all of the children, all of the time’. Underpinning this is a whole school culture, which is clearly focused on supporting and developing the self-image of each child.
From the minute you step into the building, the rise in aspirations and expectations and the care and love provided for the pupils is palpable; through the flowers, calm music and relaxing aromas to the attention to detail in displays. Significant alterations have also been made to the internal and external learning environments to support improvements in teaching and learning and better outcomes for all children
We are committed to high standards in all areas of the curriculum and all our staff in school have very high expectations of both the children and themselves.
We see the school as being at the heart of the community, adopting the moral values and ethics of the cultures and diverse backgrounds of our families.
We’ve also had very positive parent and wider community feedback about the school. Our parent questionnaire from February 2018 reported that:
- Corporation Road is good because the teachers are dedicating their life for every individual child from all different backgrounds equally the same. They make every child think that they are unique and very special in their way so that they can learn and grow up confident and handle any difficult task. They can mix with children, make friends and do teamwork together in a happy environment and learn from a very young age. I am happy for both my daughters going to Corporation Road School because I know the school and most of the teachers for many years as I used to go there years ago and find it like a family home. I can trust anyone there.
- The importance of good time keeping. To be disciplined in life. To gain knowledge. To become a complete human being. To become an effective and responsible citizen. To make effective and positive contributions to society. To learn good manners. School is trying to accommodate the needs of children from various backgrounds, which is appreciated.
- To be properly oriented, to be a good citizen, to respect others, to teach them in a good way and to support them to a good education and to be good. We thank you for your interest and help you provide and offering the best to give the child the desire to learn
- Extremely pleased my child attends this school
- Staff are extremely helpful, professional and most importantly they are caring
- Senior staff are understanding and always helpful
- I believe the Headteacher goes above and beyond her responsibilities to help the children and their families
- The staff are caring and always have a good attitude towards parents and the children
- Having fun while learning
- Safe/secure environment
- Preparing to become a responsible adult
- The school helps everyone to do well in all aspects of lessons. My daughter has achieved top marks through being at this school.
- Extremely helpful senior staff
- Approachable staff always willing to go the extra mile
- School dinners are excellent
- My children really like school – they have friends and talk about school really positively.
- Since we came to this school all the staff have helped to settle my children in
A recent visit from the Lord Lieutenant, Mrs Sue Snowdon and Councillor Lee elicited this response:
- The Head teacher and her staff are working hard to build confidence and inspire all of their school children to move forward into a better life.
- Once inside the school austerity changes to warmth and colour created by inspirational photographs and bright happy paintings courtesy of the children. The little ones themselves look smart in their school uniform and genuine happiness seems to be the order of the day with many displaying levels of confidence that exceed their young ages.
- This joy, enthusiasm and atmosphere for learning was acknowledged recently by the Lord Lieutenant Mrs Sue Snowden a past Head Teacher herself, during her visit to Corporation Road School when she said to the Head Teacher and myself how impressed she was with the school, its staff and the rich learning environment where every child was encouraged to reach their full potential
I personally work with the school’s health and wellbeing team to ensure that child welfare and safeguarding issues remain a priority.
The behaviour and attitudes from our children to learning across school are very good. Our children are polite and courteous, for example they hold doors open for visitors and each other without being prompted. They conduct themselves in a confident, respectful manner. Relationships between adults and pupils are constructive, with positive attitudes to learning and behaviours celebrated in class and whole school.
We take care to make sure that our school curriculum also caters for all cultures and faiths, including the promotion of fundamental British values. Children show a strong sense of respect for others’ values and faiths; accepting, celebrating and embracing the range of faiths and religions represented across the school.
At Corporation Road Community Primary School, we have high aspirations and always strive to be the best, encouraging our children to take part in opportunities, including life-long learning and career opportunities.
The school is now part of the Lingfield Education Trust and has a Local Advisory Board. The Governing Body consists of Valerie Johnston, Chair of the Local Advisory Board, Mr. N Blackburn, CEO Lingfield Education Trust, Mr. S Crowther, (Looked After Children & Health & Safety), Mrs. A Pringleton (Headteacher), Mr. J Steel (Safeguarding), Mrs. Chris Archer, Associate Member (Head of Early Years, Darlington Borough Council).
I would like to take this opportunity to say a very big thank you for your continued support and to let you know that your child’s education and well-being is in safe hands. I will endeavour to ensure your children access the very best teaching we can provide for them in order to guarantee them the best educational outcomes possible, raise their aspirations, better prepare them for their future and the next steps in their educational journey.
At Corporation Road Primary School, we try our very best to make sure our children:
- Know that we want them to succeed.
- Get the best start in life and are well prepared for the challenges later.
- Are happy, confident and want to learn.
- Make really good academic progress every single year.
- Experience a range of opportunities in and outside school that inspire them and widen their horizons.
- Are protected and nurtured, yet encouraged to be independent.
- Are open minded and reject all types of discrimination.
- Can trust each other and all the adults that work with them.
If you would like any of the information printed from the website, then please ask at the school office. This will be provided free of charge.